I installed MySQL 5.0 on a Windows 8 machine, everything worked out just fine, but the next day, after a reboot, the MySQL service would not start. The error message was
Could not start the MySQL service on Local Computer.
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.
I tried a bunch of things, even reinstalling MySQL, but it wouldn’t start anymore.
Looking at the error logs (in the data directory, in my case in
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\data, the file is called
server.err), I read
InnoDB: Operating system error number 87 in a file operation.
Thanks to a blog post on websofia.com, I finally managed to get the thing up and running again by adding
my.ini. This finally solved it. Thanks Alex!
Check the blog post as it contains some other very useful learnings when dealing with MySQL on Windows.
For one of my websites, I’ve implemented the Facebook login option, using the Facebook php SDK. Even though working with Facebook SDK’s can be frustrating, as their processes and rules change often, it is an easy way for users to log in.
Everything was working great, until a few months ago. I noticed that when the user clicked the url generated by
$facebook->getLogoutUrl, the user was logged out from Facebook (as documented), but I still got the user’s Facebook data using
$facebook->getUser();. In other words, my website still showed the user as logged in. I first thought I did something wrong (like forgetting to
$_SESSION-variable) but after careful investigation, it turned out to be a Facebook issue.
$facebook->getUser() documentation states “this method returns the Facebook User ID of the current user, or
0 if there is no logged-in user.” However, after logging out,
$facebook->getUser() still gave me the Facebook User ID. Also
$facebook->api('/me') still gave me all details. Strangely enough, going to
www.facebook.com gave me the Facebook login page, so I was definitely logged out.
After a lot of Googling and testing, I finally could make it work by adding
$facebook->destroySession() to the code that is called by clicking
$facebook->getLogoutUrl. After a
$facebook->getUser(); seems to give 0, as it should.
I use Remote Desktop a lot to get to various Windows machines and every now and then, Copy and Paste is not working, even though in the options, I enabled access to the Clipboard.
Thanks to this blogpost of Emmanuel Carabott, I finally found a fix. Well, a work-around, but that’s good enough. Thanks Emmanuel.