I’m maintaining a few websites, so I have a local webserver running to do testing and debugging. Until recently, I was using IIS on my Windows laptop. However, I ditched IIS a while ago, replacing it with XAMPP. This is much closer to the environment that’s running the websites (e.g. I can use .htaccess directly, rather than converting it to a web.config file).
This all worked fine, except for setlocale in PHP. I wanted to use Dutch (Belgian), but I could not get
to work on my local machine.
I searched the web, but did not find any useful information. So I looked at the PHP setlocale helpinfo again, and noticed the Tip in the Notes: Windows users will find useful information about
locale strings at Microsoft’s MSDN website.
After checking, it turned out that Microsoft decided to go for another “standard”, so ‘nl_BE’ was not recognized. To use Dutch on Windows, I needed
When looking at my blog analytics, I noticed an intriging thing: my most read post is a very old one, one I wrote more than 8 years ago. And yet, people seem to like to info that’s on there, as I regularly get comments and thank you’s from people that were close to insanity not understanding why sometimes Microsoft Word is automatically adding an extra space before a colon.
If you have been struggling with this as well, read my post of March 2008.
Building further on my series of posts to get rid of annoying context menus, another list of things to remove:
- 3D Print with 3D Builder context
- regedit: remove subkeys
- Cast to Device (*)
- Add the following String value to
Value: Play to Menu
- Scan with Windows Defender
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\shellext.dll
- Burn with Nero
Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\NeroShellExt\x64\shellreg64uninstall.reg
(*) Only disappears after reboot